North Yorkshire School Meals
Our school meals follow a healthy-eating policy.
Our meals are produced freshly every day in a school kitchen from only:
- fresh meat and poultry sourced from the region
- fruit and vegetables sourced regionally where possible using local suppliers
- products free from additives associated with health problems in young children
- fats free from hydrogenated oils
- with menus that are nutritionally balanced
As well as being convenient, and giving your child the benefit of a hot meal in the middle of the day, school dinners represent great value for money. Things have moved on since we were at school: food standards are high and the menu is balanced over the week to ensure that all food groups and nutrients are well represented. The North Yorkshire Food Policy gives more detail.
Our school cook is always pleased to discuss individual dietary needs, and will work with you to make sure that your child gets the meal that is right for them.
Free School Meals
To qualify for free school meals you must fulfil one of the following criteria:
- Universal Credit, provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods (£616.67 per month);
- Income Support;
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance;
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance;
- Support under part six of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999;
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit;
- Child Tax Credit, provided you are also not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual household gross income that does not exceed £16,190 (as assessed by HMRC); or
- Working Tax Credit run-on, paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
Please note that contributions-based benefits, including contribution-related Jobseekers’ Allowance do not entitle you to claim free school meals.
Applications are usually processed within five working days. You will be notified in writing, either by post or email, if your child is entitled and we will also let the school know. You should continue to pay until confirmation comes through. Schools may be able to arrange reimbursement of payment made while your entitlement is being confirmed.
Free school meals claims cannot be backdated. They are awarded from the date we receive the application, once eligibility is confirmed. This is because there is a legal requirement for a request to be made, before a free school meal can be provided.
If you are not entitled to free school meals, you will be notified in writing.
Further Information provided by North Yorkshire County Council