Our full Dress & Appearance Policy can be found on our Policies page
As part of building an effective and purposeful learning environment we would like children to dress in a smart, practical way and have a sense of belonging to our school community. Children are actively encouraged to wear school uniform and to take a pride in belonging to the school.
Branded items showing the school badge may be purchased from Laughing Whale in Whitby, but there is no requirement to purchase these. Plain items from other suppliers in school colours are completely acceptable.
There is plenty of choice within our uniform code for children to celebrate their individuality, and uniform can be chosen from:
- Royal blue sweatshirt or cardigan
- Black or grey school trousers, skirt or pinafore. Skirts and trousers should allow the wearer to sit comfortably on the floor.
- Pale blue or white polo top or shirt / blouse with collar (long or short sleeves)
- Smart black flat footwear (not trainers or gym shoes) which will protect children’s feet in the classroom, allow running in the playground, and which will not damage the fabric of the building.
- Black, grey or white socks or tights
- Royal blue fleece and hat with the school logo may be purchased from Laughing Whale if desired.
In summer, uniform may be varied with:
- Black or grey school short trousers – these should allow the wearer to sit comfortably on the floor
- Blue and white checked school dress / shirt (long or short sleeves)
- Sensible, plain sandals which will protect children’s feet in the classroom, allow running in the playground and which will not damage the fabric of the building.
Other uniform requirements
- All uniform must be clearly named.
- For safety reasons, jewellery should not be worn in school, apart from a watch (removed for P.E.) and, if your child’s ears are pierced, only ONE pair of small gold/silver studs may be worn (removed for P.E.)
- No nail varnish or make-up.
- Long hair should be securely tied back. Hair accessories should be discreet and, ideally, in school colours. No extreme hair styles.
- Outdoor clothing, including hats and other headwear, should not be worn in the classroom.
- If a child comes to school in wellingtons or other heavy outdoor footwear, they should bring suitable indoor shoes as described above.
PE kit may be chosen from:
- White or pale blue t-shirt or polo shirt – this should be plain or with the school logo (uniform with a logo can be purchased directly from Laughing Whale in Whitby)
- Navy blue PE shorts
- Black gym shoes for indoor / outdoor use
- Trainers for outdoor use if desired
- Royal blue hooded sweatshirt for outdoor use (uniform with a logo can be purchased directly from Laughing Whale in Whitby)
- Navy blue, black or grey track suit bottoms for outdoor use
Other PE Kit requirements
- PE kit should be clean, in good repair, and clearly labelled.
- Football strips should only be worn at after-school football clubs.
It is useful if children could bring an old shirt to school to wear when painting.